Almost 10 years ago Stanford professor Robert Sutton wrote about "Weird ideas that work". Today many companies who are leaders in creativity still utilise many of his guidelines for fostering new ideas within their organisation.
Some of the guidelines include:
- Reward success and failure; punish inaction,
- Find some happy people and get them to fight,
- Ignore people who have solved the exact problem you face,
- Hire "slow learners" (of organisational code),
- Seek out ways to avoid, distract, and bore customers.
These rules, which fight against the normal corporate norms, have been proven to foster creativity within organisations.
Image Credit: hararca