We’ve posted a lot of IKEA hacks but today’s featured desktop is the first digital IKEA hack. It’s a really simple desktop idea that takes an IKEA shelf and uses it to organise icons on the desktop.Today’s desktop comes from Aye Moah, who has graciously shared the simple instructions for how to make it yourself:
- Download the wallpaper from IKEA for your OS (PC or Mac). It’s all in Hungarian but it’s pretty obvious where to click.
- Open up the downloaded folder and you will find Backgrounds for different screen sizes with multiple colours: green, grey, purple and violet.
- Set up your desktop. (If you like to remove the IKEA logo, you will need to open up Photoshop or Paint.net and remove it from the image itself). Note: the rest of this is only for Mac.
- Open up the folder named “IKEA-e-Folder-Icons-mac” and you will find a bench of icons named in Hungarian.
- If you know how to change the Mac icons for your folders on Desktop, do that. If you don’t, here is how. To apply each folder with the new icon, you right click on the new icon file and click Get Info. You will get the Info window, click on the top left graphic and a light blue edge will be visible after you click it. Click Cmd + C to copy. Then go to the folder you want to apply this new icon, right click and click Get Info. Then you select the old icon and same as above, a light blue edge will be visible around the icon. Click Cmd + V to paste. Then you will have your desktop folders displaying in Ikea icons.
- Organise the icons in the bookshelf as you want.
Aye Moah’s IKEA Shelf Desktop [Twitter]
The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans
Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.