Dear Lifehacker, Got a quick question you guys might be able to help with. I’ve got a bit of a build-up of starred items on my Google Reader account. I use Byline on the iPhone & iPad and check the Google Reader site regularly and hence the starred items seem to build up quickly. I’ve Got a nice chunk of items built up at the moment and I’ve been looking at the web interface trying to find a way to remove all or even multiple starred items at once, but the only way I can find it to get rid of each stared item one-by-one. There’s got to be an easier way… right? Thanks, Starry-Eyed
Clearly, we’re huge fans of using Google Reader, but we’ve got to admit that there’s a bit of a gap here. There’s no obvious way of de-starring multiple items at once that we could spot. The fastest option we could think of involves using keyboard shortcuts:
- Type g then s to go to your starred items.
- Hit space to select the first item.
- Hit s to remove the star. (The s shortcut toggles the starred state on and off.)
- Hit j to go to the next item in the list.
- Repeat steps three and four until the list is empty. (If you want to keep something, just skip hitting s for that item.)
Once you hit the ‘repeat’ stage that’s actually pretty quick, but still not as fast as a proper ‘deselect all starred items’ option. If any readers know of an alternative Google-compatible RSS reader that does offer that option, we’d love to hear about it in the comments.
The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans
Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.