Your iPhone 3GS or 4 may support multitasking, but try to keep a YouTube video playing for just the sound and it closes down. Reader juansmith explains how to keep a music video, lecture or other audio-worthy YouTube clip going.
If you turn off the screen while a YouTube video is playing, it stops. This occurs whether you're using the built-in YouTube app or the YouTube web app (m.youtube.com).
There is, however, a way to keep playing the video (audio-only) and lock the phone, if you're using the YouTube web app.
- Start the video in the web app.
- Press the home key once. This will exit Safari and stop playback.
- Double-tap the home key. This will bring up the dock (with all of your currently running programs).
- Tap the dock with one finger and slide it to the right to reveal the background audio controls. There will be a single icon on the right side that corresponds to whichever program you last used with background audio — in this case, Safari.
- Press the Play button. The audio from your YouTube video will resume playback, and you can then lock the phone (turn off the screen), switch to a different app or do whatever you want, and it will continue playing in the background.
This trick also works if you've just finished watching a video in the web app — it will start the audio over from the beginning.
Thanks for the tip, juansmith!