Whether you’ve just bought a new PC, upgraded to Windows 7, or reinstalled your OS, a just-installed system is a great opportunity to make some helpful changes and fixes. Here are the things we recommend anyone tackle on a minty fresh Windows.
We’ve previously rounded up the bulk of our Windows 7 advice, from first installation to fine detail tweaking, in our complete guide to Windows 7, as well as packaged our favourite little utilities and customisation apps in a list of 10 booster apps. This guide, in contrast, doesn’t include many downloads, and focuses on what you can do to fix up your system from the get-go, no separate app required.
10. Change Up Your Theme
9. Take Advantage Of The Better Printer Setups
8. Extend Your Activation Period, If Necessary
7. Set Up XP Mode and Make It More Convenient
6. Get Your Old “Show Desktop” Button Back
5. Integrate Dropbox with Your System
4. Organize and Customise Your Libraries
3. Set Up a Dual-Boot System
2. Learn the Shortcuts
1. Get Your Must-Have Apps Installed Quickly with Ninite (and the Lifehacker Pack)
What’s the first thing you do when you’ve got a fresh new system, or a re-installed OS? Share your checklists in the comments.