The modern office isn’t quite a wretched hive of scum and villainy, but it’s not always pleasant, either. If your workspace, your co-workers,or your sinking feeling of not getting anything done needs fixing, here are 10 possible remedies.
Photo by furryscaly.
10. Have Someone Else Do Your Handicapping
9. Ask Others To Be Creative Without Putting It That Way
8. Leave Without Burning Bridges
7. Get Around Or Work Beyond Lame IT Restrictions
6. Ease Into Small Talk With Anybody
5. Consider The Realities Of Telecommuting
4. Crank Out Important Stuff Before Email Does You In
3. Avoid Email Annoyances And Red Flags
2. Make Your Physical Space Much Better With Small Changes
1. Ignore People — Seriously
Rework author Jason Fried lays out the case for why so many people are working on nights and weekends — it’s the only time they can actually work. Too many offices have an environment where not immediately responding to an IM, an email or an just-over-the-cubicle “Got a minute?” is seen as rude or un-team-like. Fried suggests creating a culture, even if it’s just a culture of one, in which work is valued, messages are replied to at sane intervals, and nobody has to do secret day-off work. (Original post)
What’s the best tip or tactic you’ve used to upgrade your day-to-day office life? What attempts at dignity reclaiming have met with hilarious/disastrous results? Get chatty in the comments break room.