There's nothing wrong with spending your week off at home, but that doesn't mean it has to be uneventful. Weblog Apartment Therapy recommends spending part of your time lounging at home and the other seeing new things around your city.
Photo by Gerry Thomasen.
Whether you can't afford to travel right now, or you'd just rather not spend the money, taking a staycation is a good way to compromise. Even without going to the town next door, there are probably still a ton of things right in your city that you've always wanted to do, but haven't. Apartment Therapy recommends spending 60 per cent of your staycation at home, doing the normal vacation-y lounging: reading, cooking, spending time in the garden and other relaxing activities. Then spend the other 40 per cent seeing new things around town (or whatever ratio suits you best).
The readers over at Apartment Therapy add a lot of good ideas to the mix too, like buying an unlimited transit pass for the week to motivate you to see the sights (and keep it inexpensive). Also, even if you're trying to save money by staying home, you can make your staycation feel more vacation-like by spending a bit more on, say, a nice restaurant or a live show. You'll be spending, but you won't be spending anywhere near as much as you would if you went out of town. Hit the link for more staycation tips and share yours in the comments.
Enjoying a Vacation at Home [Apartment Therapy]