Mac/Linux: The very popular open source BitTorrent client Transmission has reached another milestone, and while it's big January update added some great features, this release is all about speed and stability.
The new version sports, as always, bug fixes, and includes a few cool features like letting daemons invoke a script after a torrent finishes downloading, as well as a few UI improvements for both the Mac and GTK+ versions. However, the big updates to all platforms this time around include less obvious improvements to make the overall experience better, such as:
- "Local Peer Discovery" for finding peers on the local network
- Optimise download requests for the bandwidth available
- Smarter heuristics when deciding the order to connect to peers
- Faster verification of local data
- Faster startup
- Support more blocklist file formats
- Better handling of 404 tracker errors
Transmission is a free download for Mac and other *nix systems.