We live out so much of our modern lives on personal computers and web servers — yet so much of it is messy and overstuffed. Clean up your email, fix your files, and tidy up your digital life with these 10 tips.
Photo by meddygarnet.
We last delved into the “digital life” in July 2007 (when Lifehacker’s Australian edition hadn’t even launched), when Gina tackled this very topic. We’ve seen, and even created, new tools since then. So, in keeping with the conclusion of our Ultimate Clutter Cleanout, we decided to craft a new list of tools we think helps makes a life of 1s and 0s, computers and creation, feel much less frantic and disorderly.
10. Declutter And Streamline Google Reader Feeds
9. Clean Up Your Contacts
8. Compact And Manage Social Network Alerts
7. Build Yourself Serious Gmail Filters
6. Pack A More Efficient Laptop/Go Bag
5. Clean Out Your Hard Drive
4. Free Up Space In Gmail
3. Automate Your Folder And File Organisation
2. Use Dropbox — For Almost Everything
1. Ban Cables And Clutter From Your Desktop
Look back at the last year or two. What’s the best move, or simple system, you’ve implemented to clean out your own digital clutter? Share your success in the comments.