Streaming recorded TV to your hotel room. Grabbing files off your home computer from work. Checking on the dog walker. Your computer can do amazing things while you’re nowhere near it, and these 10 killer remote access apps help you do them.
Photo by Xjs-Khaos.
10. DJ Your iTunes Playlists From Any Room
9. Install Wake-on-LAN for Remote Power-Ups
8. Be At Home Anywhere with OpenVPN
7. Watch Recorded TV with Remote Potato
Once you get Remote Potato set up, you’ll get nearly full access to your Windows 7 Media Center anywhere you have a browser up and running. Through a Silverlight plug-in, you can watch shows you’ve recorded, set up new recordings, and otherwise fine-tune your fairly awesome setup. (Original post)
6. Control Torrent Downloading Remotely
5. Give Remote Tech Support with CrossLoop
4. Keep an Eye On What’s Happening at Home
3. Stream Media Anywhere with Orb
2. Do Everything Else with a Home Server
1. Use Your Home Computer Through LogMeIn
What apps do you use to connect back home when you’re away? How do you get at your home media when you’ve got downtime? Tell us about your tips and tools in the comments.