Windows: Kiwi is a free utility that monitors any application and springs into action when that application meets any user-defined criteria within a set of basic rules — like restarting an application or email you when it's memory use exceeds a pre-defined level.
The app comes in free and Pro flavours, but the free version can perform any of the following actions when an application you tell it to monitor matches a rule:
- close an application when it' memory load exceeds a certain level
- close an application when its CPU time spend exceeds a certain time
- close an application when it runs for a period of time
- turn off the computer when a certain application ends
- run an application when the selected application starts
- run an application when the selected application ends
- alert when an application starts
- alert when an application ends
- alert when an application's memory load exceeds a certain level
- alert when an application's CPU time spend exceeds a certain time
The Pro version of the app costs $US37 and has tons of other cool features, but the free version has plenty of useful functionality. If, for example, you wanted to monitor an application and restart it or get an email when its memory use got too out of control, you could set a rule to close the app when it hit whatever memory limit you choose, then set up another rule to restart the application when it ends.
Kiwi is a free download, Windows only.