Our ears perked up when we heard it's National Procrastination Week in the US, since one of our missions is to find ways to work efficiently and avoid putting off important tasks. To celebrate, here's a look at some of our favourite anti-procrastination methods.
Photo by mikeporcenaluk.
Before we dive in, let's take a look at why we procrastinate so we have a better chance of overcoming it. There are several schools of thought on procrastination, including that it's hard-wired into our brains. According to Psychology Today, there are five main reasons we delay doing things we know we have to get done.
The brain is built to firstly minimize danger, before maximizing rewards. Any threat to self is minimized, any handy reward is tempting. This alone accounts for a great deal of our procrastination as we avoid tasks that threaten the self, and we discount future rewards in favour of immediate gratification. A little more focus on emotional intelligence can help here. Too often, feelings trump reasons, and we give in to feel good.
Check out the full article to learn more about why some people naturally lean toward procrastination instead of action. If you're just looking for tips to help you overcome procrastination, here you go:
- The Art of Productive Procrastination - If you're going to procrastinate, at least be smart about it.
- Quit Coffee to Reduce Procrastination - Anecdotal evidence suggests that morning cup of java (or five) might be holding you back instead of revving you up.
- Use Relatives/Spouses to Give Yourself Firmer Deadlines - Nail those deadlines by asking the people around you to hold you accountable.
- Top 10 Smart and Lazy Ways to Save Your Workday - Gina comes up with 10 ways to avoid procrastination without breaking a sweat.
- Focus Faster by Preparing Next Tasks Before Breaks - Stop putting off tasks by prepping ahead of time so you can jump right in when it's time to do them.
What's your go-to method for taming the procrastination beast? Share it in the comments.