Designer and blogger Phil Gyford spends a lot of time with six different text input gadgets, ranging from low-tech (pen and paper) to more high tech (full keyboard, iPhone keyboard, etc.) His question: Which gadget provided the quickest means of input.
I have six input methods to compare:
- The Apple Newton MessagePad 2100's handwriting recognition (1997)
- The Palm Vx's Graffiti (1999)
- The Palm Treo 650's hardware QWERTY keyboard (2004)
- The Apple iPhone 3G's software QWERTY keyboard (2009)
- Pen and paper
- A full-size QWERTY keyboard
To test the speed of input I was going to use the same piece of text for each one. I also wanted to use some text I could memorise, so I didn't have to pause typing/writing to look up, and the later tests wouldn't benefit from my increasing knowledge of the text.
Congratulations, full-size keyboard! Gyford is fully aware that his test isn't exactly scientific, and it probably doesn't apply to you, but it did get us wondering: What's your best input method? Share your fastest and favourite input method in the comments.
Pen v keyboard v Newton v Graffiti v Treo v iPhone [Phil Gyford via Daring Fireball]