Windows/Mac/Linux: XBMC media centre has dropped a 9.11 alpha release for all platforms, with quality fixes on all three computer platforms and more powerful skinning abilities. If you're not afraid of a bug or two, it's yours to grab.
From the outset, not a whole lot looks new, but XBMC has made some real improvements under the hood. From the developer's release notes:
- DirectX has replaced OpenGL for Windows
- Numerous skinning engine updates which allow for use of some fancy new skins
- Many improvements to the video player which allow for much smoother playback
- Switch to Core Audio on OSX
- Many VDPAU improvements under linux
- Many platform-specific customizations
There's a promise for "much much more" to be revealed as the final release approaches, but core video and audio improvements is always welcome among media fans.
Looking to get set up with XBMC? We went on a home theatre PC kick last week showing you, step by step, how to build a silent, standalone media centre on the cheap and customise the heck out of XBMC.