It’s easy to forget about your body’s needs when you’re deep into your work or the net — until your body offers a painful reminder. Save your physical shell some strain with these cheap, customisable ergonomic workspace upgrades.
Photo by IMG_3771 on Flickr – Photo Sharing!.
10. Elevate your laptop to eye level
9. Mix up your positions with a standing desk
8. Get better sleep support
7. Invest in a real mouse and keyboard
6. Align yourself properly with your computer
5. Build your own ergonomic desk from scratch
4. Use exercises to ward off RSI
You can do a lot to prevent stress and pain in your hands working at a computer all day, but you’ll almost inevitably have bad days full of overly long hours, and, over the long haul, risk sidling yourself with repetitive strain injury (RSI). Percussionist David Kuckhermann knows a thing or two about repetitive wrist and forearm strain, as does RSI expert Sherry Smith, and they both recommend and demonstrate a few simple exercises that can ward off and heal the effects of working your hands into knots. (Original post)
3. Fine-tune your desk spacing
2. Use software enforcers
1. Go easy on your eyes
What improvements, big or small, have made the greatest difference in your workspace health? Pass on the knowledge in the comments.