Kick off your Lifehacker Monday by making sure you didn't miss any of the biggest posts from last week:
- Learn From The TIO To Get Better Phone, Broadband Deals
The annual report from the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman highlights dodgy behaviour in the communications space. Learn from the problems it has handled to minimise your own phone, mobile and Internet hassles.
- Top Windows 7 Booster Apps Windows 7 is a big improvement over Vista, and a pretty convenient OS in general-but it's by no means perfect. These downloads improve Windows 7's looks, functions, and make it easier, safer, and more convenient to upgrade to.
- Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Out Now (Linux) The final version of Ubuntu 9.10 has hit Ubuntu's servers a little bit ahead of its front page. Grab a torrent or ISO of the free Linux operating system while the servers aren't slammed.
- Windows 7 Student Upgrades Cost $50
There’s not too many ways of scoring a copy of Windows 7 on the cheap, but students do have one useful option: an upgrade to the Home Premium or Professional release for $49.95.
- The Master List Of New Windows 7 Shortcuts Windows 7 adds loads of great shortcuts for switching between apps, moving windows around your screen, moving them to another monitor altogether, and much more.
- Aerofoil Keeps Your Laptop's Battery Alive (Windows) Open-source system tray utility Aerofoil helps keep your Windows notebook running longer by automatically turning off Aero Glass and other battery-sucking preferences when you disconnect from a wall outlet.
- Seven’s Second Channel To Launch November 1
Commercial networks have been able to offer a second digital channel since the beginning of the year. When Seven rolls out its second channel on November 1, they’ll all finally have gotten around to it.
- Five Best Portable Apps Suites Once upon a time, easy remote computing was a pipe dream, now people routinely carry gigs of data around on flash drives smaller than a modest pack of chewing gum.
- Livebrush Makes Design Creation Simple (Adobe Air) If you're looking to put a flourish or two on an invitation, business card, or web page, Livebrush makes it super simple to create your own designs without purchasing advanced vector-based software.
- Your Tax Return Is Due In This Saturday
If you’re planning on submitting your tax return yourself — whether via e-tax or via the manual mailing in the forms route — then remember that Saturday October 31 is the deadline for getting it in.
- Build A Silent, Standalone XBMC Media Centre On The Cheap You won't find a better media centre than the open-source XBMC, but most people don't have the space or desire to plug a noisy PC into their TV. Instead, I converted a cheap nettop into a standalone XBMC set-top box.
- LongBar Is A Slick, Open-Source Sidebar For Windows (Windows) Desktop sidebar LongBar hosts mini-applications as "tiles", giving you application launchers, system stats, Facebook updates, sticky notes, and more on the side of your screen.
- Lifehacker's Complete Guide to Windows 7 Windows 7 officially launches today, but we've been testing, tweaking, customising, fixing, and writing about this OS for a year now. We present here a guide to everything we've learned about the OS, from first install to final settings change.
- PicTranslator Turns Your iPhone's Camera Into A Language Translator (iPhone) Whether you've found yourself in a foreign land or you just need a little help with a foreign-language menu, snap a pic with PicTranslator and let it translate for you on the fly.
- Better Posture Means More Energy At Work The art of sitting or standing up straight might seem like something out of a 1950's etiquette class, but it actually plays an important role in staying energised and efficient throughout your day at the office.
- VMware Fusion Updates With Excellent Windows 7 Support (Mac OS X) If you're looking to run Windows on your Mac, you've got a few options. If you want to run Windows 7 on your Mac, complete with Aero, Flip 3D, and 64-bit support, try the new VMware Fusion.
- Taskbar Meters Monitor Your Windows 7 Hardware In The Taskbar (Windows 7) If you're not into Windows desktop gadgets, there is another way to easily monitor your computer's CPU and RAM: Taskbar Meters puts simple, attractive resource monitors right on your Windows 7 Taskbar.
- Minimalist Gmail Pares Gmail Down to the Basics (Firefox) If you liked the look of Zen Habits' Minimalist Gmail adaptation, but don't usually roll with Greasemonkey scripts, a coder has put together a single Firefox extension that can hide header, footer, and sidebar elements for an elegant look.