iPhone/iPod touch only: Apple today announced an update to iPhone OS 3.1 today, introducing a new "Genius" recommendation feature for the App Store. bug fixes and performance boosters, and several other small but worthwhile updates.
It's also added a Ringtone section to the App Store on your device (for a whopping $2.29 a pop—which is why we recommend making them yourself [Windows guide; Mac guide] ). Other than that, Apple's not promising a lot from this update other than support for the newly released iTunes 9, its new features (e.g. Genius Mixes), and a few other nice tweaks. Below is a quick look at some of the other most notable updates from the release notes:
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
- Option to "Save as new clip" when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
- Paste phone numbers into the Keypad
- Anti-phishing features in Safari
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
Hit up iTunes, plug in your device, and click the Check for Updates button to get started on the 240+MB download. As ever, iPod Touch owners get rorted to the tune of $5.99 for the update.