Windows/Mac/Linux: Mozilla has just released a new beta version of their desktop email application in the form of Thunderbird 3 Beta 3, adding better Gmail integration, smart folders and more.
The update promises several improvements beyond what we saw when Mozilla released Thunderbird 3 Beta 2, both for developers and users. Specifically:
- Tabbed Email Messages Double-clicking or hitting enter on a mail message will now open that message in a New Tab window. Middle-clicking on messages or folders will open them in a Tab in the background. When quitting Thunderbird, visible tabs will be saved and will be restored when you open Thunderbird the next time. There is also a new Tab menu on the Tab toolbar to help you switch between Tabs.
- New Message Summary View Selecting multiple messages will give you a summary view of the emails you have selected.
- Column Headings The column headings that are displayed and the order in which they are displayed can now be set on a per-folder basis.
- Smart Folders The folder pane offers a Smart Folders mode which combines special mailboxes (e.g. Inbox) from multiple accounts together.
- Improved Gmail Integration Better recognition and integration of Gmail's special folders such as Sent and Trash including non-English versions of Gmail. Thunderbird also uses All Mail as the Archives folder.
Thunderbird is a free download for Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. If you're a Thunderbird die-hard and you've tried out the Thunderbird 3 betas, let's hear how it's been working for you in the comments.