Windows only: Reader tjmarkham3's desktop uses an RSS reader modified from the popular Enigma desktop customization —and he's bundled the configuration into a script that can be added to your own custom desktop.
Using the new Rainmeter configuration involves a couple of steps—but at the end you should have a shiny new RSS meter embedded on your desktop.
- Download and install Rainmeter.
- Extract and move the entire Multimeter folder into the Rainmeter -> Skins directory.
- Start Rainmeter, and use the tray icon context menu to start the Configs -> Multimeter -> RSS.ini skin, and optionally also start the background skin.
- The context menu can be used to control which display is on top, as well as set the transparency to a different level. I used 70% for the screenshot.
Once you've got the skin installed, using it to read your RSS feeds is fairly simple by following the instructions from tjmarkham3:
- When you click the favicon of the website, the RSS feed switches and the background highlight changes to that favicon.
- When you click the "X" everything except for the favicons disappear. This is so that when your laptop isn't connected to the interwebs, you don't have an ugly, empty RSS feed sitting on your desktop.
Great job, tjmarkham3!
Multimeter RSS-extended [deviantART]