Whatever kind of work you do at home, your office is one place you want to spend the time to make comfortable and convenient. Take 10 of our tips on organising, fixing, and streamlining that space.
Photo by pdsphil.
10. Get more natural or ambient light
9. Keep you PCs clean and quiet
8. Cover the non-obvious comforts
7. Install a worthy whiteboard
6. Rescue your filing cabinet
5. Charge and stash your gadgets away
Remember when one power strip was all you needed for everything electronic in your life? Yeah, we do too. But these days, your cell phone, camera battery, iPod, work phone, laptop battery, and other gear require both space and voltage. Keeping them off your desk space, yet still easily found and charged, is easy to accomplish. You can simply convert a cheap bedside table or soften up a simple box, or get fancy by adding switches or automatic lighting. If you’ve just got one or two things to keep handy but out of the way, a wall-mounted charger, made from an empty lotion bottle, no less, might be all you need.
4. Keep wires out of sight
3. Make it easy on your eyes, arms, and … seat
2. Get a label maker—the lightsaber of organisation
1. Keep it clean
What makes your home office a great place to work? How do you keep it both comfortable and productive? What productivity problems do you need to tackle in your setup? We want to hear it all in the comments.