Kick off your Lifehacker Monday by making sure you didn’t miss any of the biggest posts from last week:
- Why Airport Parking Is Such A Rip-Off
Airfares might still be pretty cheap, but parking your car can be an expensive exercise. Is there any way out of the bind?
- Protect Your Windows PC From The Conficker Worm
The Conficker worm has infected millions of Windows computers; here’s what you need to know to keep yourself safe.
- Portable Ubuntu Runs Ubuntu Inside Windows (Windows)
Free application Portable Ubuntu for Windows runs an entire Linux operating system as a Windows application. As if that weren’t cool enough, it’s portable, so you can carry it on your thumb drive.
- BlackBerry App World Opens, But Not For Australia
Well, that sucks. First announced last October, BlackBerry has finally rolled out its App World application — but Australia isn’t getting to play.
- Hive Five: Five Best Mind Mapping Applications
Mind mapping is a great way to add structure to brainstorming sessions and visualise your ideas. Check out the applications your fellow readers use to do their best brainstorming.
- 3 To Drop Roaming Prices For Next G Access
While its merger process with Vodafone rumbles along, 3 is still pushing ahead with plans to allow roaming onto Telstra’s Next G network. If a leaked price list is to be believed, that change will also make its data services somewhat more affordable.
- MythBusters’ Adam Savage Talks Tech, Obsessions, And Science
When he’s not blowing things up, making models, or otherwise holding the job you wish you had, Adam Savage is serious about personal projects. We chatted with him about MythBusters, managing time, and other geeky stuff.
- Four Small And Fresh Experimental Firefox Extensions
It hasn’t been that long since we last rounded up the experimental Firefox extensions worth checking out. In the meantime, though, some very small helpers came along and added some clever functionality to the ‘fox.
- Skype For iPhone Brings Reliable VoIP To Your Pocket (iPhone)
Skype dropped their official iPhone client in the App Store earlier today, and it delivers reliable VoIP calling over a Wi-Fi connection. But it’s also reportedly working over 3G on the beta 3.0 firmware.
- Create A Cat Haven From Ikea Shelves
The climbing trees at pet stores are ridiculously expensive and take up tons of floor space. Help your kitty jump to a royal view, Super-Mario-style, without cluttering your floor or wasting money.
- Primitive File Size Chart Quickly Locates Your Drive-Hogging Files (Windows)
If you’re looking to quickly get a snapshot of which folders and files are eating up your disk space, Primitive File Size Chart can help.
- Beyond Life Hacks: Reusable Solutions To Common Productivity Problems
Let’s face it: when you’ve run into serious productivity roadblocks like procrastination, distraction, and overwhelmed paralysis, keyboard shortcuts and index cards aren’t going to save you-only better patterns of behaviour will.
- GDI++ Adds OS X Font Rendering To Windows (Windows)
System tray application GDI++ replaces the Windows font engine with smoother OS X-style rendering instead of Microsoft’s ClearType.
- The SpiderMac Desktop
Reader zackshackleton’s desktop takes a comic book panel and blends system stats into text bubbles, adding a useful touch to a really fun desktop.
- VLC Updates, Small Improvements All Around (Windows/Mac/Linux)
VLC, our favourite open-source media player (and the most popular among readers) has pushed out an update to version 0.9.9-improving a few features, fixing bugs, and coming dangerously close to a full-fledged 1.0 release.
- Pod To Mac Transfers iPhone, iPod Music To Your Mac (Mac)
Free application Pod to Mac-sibling application of previously mentioned Pod to PC-copies any music or video file from your iPhone or iPod to your Mac.
- SelfControl Blocks Internet Distractions With Brute Force (Mac)
Feel like you waste too much time on Facebook, Twitter, or some other internet time sink? Free application SelfControl is serious about blocking those distractions when you need to focus.
- MindRaider Organises And Visualises Any Note Style (Windows/Mac/Linx)
MindRaider wants to be the place you stash all your sudden thoughts, organisational notes, and inter-connected ideas. That’s because it offers links, visualisations, and other tools to help you make sense of it all.
XWindows Dock Provides An OS X-Style Dock In Windows (Windows)
If the application dock on your friend’s Mac fills you with envy, you might want to check out XWindows Dock, a full-featured OSX dock clone.