Firefox with Greasemonkey: Gmail FavIcon Alerts shows unread email counts and chat alerts in the Gmail address bar icon—and now has updated to show the exact unread count.
The script, which we've featured here before, adds a number of new changes, including showing showing the exact unread count when you have more than 10 unread messages. The full list of changes includes:
- New to version 3, the number of unread messages is indicated in the icon beyond 10!
- The FavIcon now stays up-to-date no matter what folder you're in (Inbox, Starred, Trash, etc.)
- The script utilizes Gmail's Greasemonkey API, increasing the script's speed and reliability.
- Google Apps for Your Domain Gmail Accounts are now supported at their default location (ex. http://mail.google.com/a/[url] )
- Icons have been updated and are now embedded in the script, so no external resources are required
The author recommends using this extension in conjunction with the PermaTabs and FaviconizeTab extensions to have always-available Gmail without wasting screen real estate (as you can see in the screenshot).
Gmail FavIcon Alerts is a free download, requires Firefox with the Greasemonkey extension. Readers should note that enabling the Hide Unread setting (part of the Gmail Labs experiments) will prevent this script from working. Thanks, Peter!
Gmail FavIcon Alerts 3 [userscripts.org]