Most Popular Linux Downloads Of 2008
Firefox 3.1 Beta 1
Gmail Backup Archives Your Email Account
Other Top Linux Downloads:
- Ubuntu 8.04 “Hardy Heron” Released: It was actually a more significant and game-changing distro than 8.10, but maybe that goes to show the increasing number of adopters.
- Fedora 10 Officially Released, Ready for Download: The Red Hat spin-off distribution Fedora is nearly identical in speed to Ubuntu 8.10, and offers a robust set of unique features.
- CrossOver Mac and Linux Products Free Today Only: So popular with our readers, and many, many others, CrossOver‘s one-day give-away of its Windows-apps-on-Linux suites overwhelmed their servers, but most everyone who signed up got their downloads eventually.
- Wine 1.0 Runs Hundreds of Windows Apps Flawlessly: WINE‘s 1.0 release was a long time in coming, but that’s a good thing. By the time it got “official,” the platform for running Windows apps inside Linux (without virtualization or emulation) already supported lots of cool apps.
- RarCrack Opens Protected Archives Without Passwords: Turns out RarCrack, one of our most popular Linux downloads this year, was just what the doctor (okay, readers) ordered: A simple program that busts open password-protected ZIP and RAR files.
What was your favourite Linux download of 2008? Whether it’s in the list or found elsewhere, tell us about it in the comments.