- 10 tips for finding rental accommodation easily Even in a competitive rental market you can make househunting a lot easier for yourself by following a few simple steps. I just rented a lovely house in a popular inner city suburb of Sydney for less than I expected to pay - and it only took me two days of looking at houses. Here's how I did it.
- De-Pixelize Your Images with VectorMagic "Web site VectorMagic turns virtually any image into vector art that can be resized as much as you want without any nasty pixelation—perfect for creating your scanned signature, for example."
- Save Time and Paper with a Scanned Signature "At one point or another, we've all gone through the print-sign-fax dance to return a signed document, but the Productivity501 weblog details how to create a high quality scanned signature that you can quickly insert in a document so you can save yourself time and paper."
- Remote Control Leopard with TightVNC (Mac) "With VNC built right into Leopard, you can remote control your Mac from any other Mac via iChat or the Screen Sharing client—OR any PC using the right VNC client. "
- Turn Your Old PC into a Webapp Monster with gOS "If you've got an extra PC gathering dust, gOS is not only a worthy operating system for a cheap PC from Wal-Mart; it's also an excellent (and free) way to repurpose your old PC."
- Change a Broken Bulb with a Potato "In short, you just cut a potato in half and stick the flat end of one of the halves into the socket and unscrew. "
- Avoid Recipe Disasters Through Preparation "In his latest book, Ruhlman offers some tips for us non-chefs on how to save time and avoid disaster by reading closely and getting ahead."
This Week's How To's
Trending Stories Right Now
I've only ever taken two devices back to Apple for repair. One was an ageing iMac that needed a new hard drive and the other was a MacBook that failed completely. In the first case, Apple replaced the hard drive at a price that was about 30% in excess of what I expected. The MacBook was fried and Apple replaced it completely with a new unit before the 12-month warranty period was up. But a recent expose by CBC News in Canada has painted a less than stellar picture. Simple repair jobs are being over-charged with fixes that other repairers complete in minutes.
roanokecollege/Flickr Even if they haven't gone so far as to get formal self-defence training, many people (particularly women) have considered what strategies they'd deploy if they were attacked by a stranger. A popular thought is that one would use an object on your person as a weapon of defence - like keys, for instance.