Top Stories antivirus
- What To Do When Someone Breaks Into Your Computer
- How To Disable Avast's Annoying Sounds And Popups
- How To Solve Scary Security Scenarios
- The 5 Biggest Myths About Slow PCs
- Top 10 Simple Things Every Computer User Should Know How To Do
- Nine Common Myths And Misconceptions About Viruses, Examined And Debunked
There’s already a nice selection of free antivirus programs available for the discerning user, but it’s hard to say no to a new entry. Sophos already has a free product available on OS X and it’s recently dipped its toes into Windows’ waters.
Microsoft Security Essentials long held the title as the most lightweight antivirus option, but with its plummeting ability to protect your system from threats, plenty of challengers have returned to the fore. So which one offers the best balance of safety and speed? The scores are in.
A recent test done by the independent antivirus research group AV-TEST — whose tests we’ve mentioned in the past — took a look at the performance of today’s most popular malware-removal applications. Most of the applications performed well, but only Malwarebytes — a free download — managed a perfect score.