Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers including: Hands-on with Samsung’s Galaxy Gear smart watch, get a Fujifilm FinePix AV200 camera for $25, more Vine comedy shorts.
- Samsung has announced its latest Galaxy range will be landing in Australia this year — including the hotly anticipated Gear watch. “Following the success of the Samsung GALAXY Note range in Australia, we are excited to confirm that Samsung GALAXY Note 3 as well as the innovative new GALAXY Gear and the GALAXY Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) will all be launching in Australia soon. Pricing and availability information will be made available closer to the launch date.” You can read more about the Samsung Galaxy Gear watch here.
- Looking for a cheap compact camera for the kids? Office Works is currently selling the Fujifilm FinePix AV200 for just $25. Chief specifications include a 14-megapixel sensor, a 3X optical zoom, 2.7in LCD screen and 720p HD video recording. [Via OzBagain]
- Would-be prime minister Tony Abbott has publicly claimed that the Coalition’s NBN plan is absolutely bulletproof. “The national broadband network policy was released many months ago by myself and Malcolm [Turnbull]. The Government’s been crawling all over it. No-one has been able to question the costings. It is absolutely bulletproof.” Hmm. You can read a more measured response to the Liberal Party’s proposed fibre-to-the-node scheme here.
- Vine is a mobile app owned by Twitter that lets users post six second video clips. Here’s a mashup of August’s funniest clips. (Warning: Twerking ahead.)
- Our chums over at Kotaku have published some photos of cardboard boxes. This normally wouldn’t be news, but the boxes actually contain Xbox One consoles packed and ready for shipping. “We’ve got shots of the very first retail units (like, the very first), boxed, sealed and on their way to… well, a warehouse, I guess, since the console doesn’t go on sale for over a month.” The Xbox One will be hitting Aussie stores on November 22 — you can read our thoughts about the console and release date here.