So! Back up your Gmail archives with one of many options:
- Use a desktop IMAP email client: Like the free Thunderbird, or Outlook, or Apple Mail. It's the best compromise of convenience, time, and cost (free).
- Pay for BackupMyMail: It's not free, but it is automatic and out of your hair. Pricing starts at $US19.95 per year.
- Forward messages to a secondary account: It only works for new messages going forward, but better late than never.
- Use the free fetchmail tool: It's Unix-y, and requires some command line entries, but it's not too hard.
- Using Getmail: As explained by Matt Cutts, it's another Unix command that takes a while to run, but eventually pulls down all your data.
"Google Mail service has already been restored for some users, and we expect a resolution for all users in the near future. Please note this time frame is an estimate and may change."
Do you have another way of backing up your Gmail archives that we should recommend?